Thursday, November 17, 2005

Parkdale...



I guess the thing about Parkdale is it's been a troubled neighbourhood for a long time. I've lived here more than 5 years, I worked at Parkdale library all this past summer and, if living right near there hadn't made me grow accustommed to the neighbourhood, working there certainly did.

I saw things there and dealt with things that I never thought were even possible in a library... a few examples... amputated legs abandoned, washroom orgies, crack pipes in the lost and found, numerous complaints about shit on the ceiling, and that doesn't even start to cover the Reference questions one gets asked. I have never dealt with people who have lost family members to violence before... but now I have. I guess it made me understand why my mother got into social work. There is an amazing amount of satisfaction gained from really helping people.

to be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment